This is a post I debated writing...... At the last minute I decided to join Grace on a field trip today. She was chosen as the Student Council representative for her class back in September and thus far they have done things like plan spirit days and deliver Christmas gifts to the Homeless Shelter. Today they delivered khoncha to one of the local orphanages. They celebrate Novruz here which is their spring holiday. You can read all about it here if you like:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novruz_in_Azerbaijan
but basically it is about celebrating the 4 elements..... water, fire, earth and wind
So anyway.....the orphanage is an hour away from the school. We had a long bus ride there and when we arrived....I was shocked to see it was enclosed like a compound....with large walls all around it. I was surprised there was a gate guard who had to check to make sure we had an appointment. Once we drove in, I was even more surprised to see a brand newish building, playground, pool, and tennis court.
The ladies who run the orphanage were very friendly and happy to see us. The security guard from our school translated what they said which was "you are the first English speaking visitors we have EVER had". Apparently our school donates khonchas every year to the orphanage but they have never delivered them....the drivers or other local Azerbaijani people have....
Needless to say they were very happy to have us visit and they had us sit on a carpet while the kids, both boys and girls aged about 5 up to high school finished up their lunch. After they came in to the foyer area we were in to join us, they turned Azerbaijani music on and we were in for a real treat. The girls danced 3 different songs from their culture for us. They were very good and had definitely practiced for our arrival. Then all of the kids danced together (ours and theirs) to Gangman style....it was quite moving....I got a video but it is too large to load...instead I have two pictures of Grace giving the koncha to someone and the whole group.
What a day....something Grace and I will NEVER forget as long as we live....she was very quiet on the way home on the bus....she finally spoke up and said that the trip was fun but sad. That she felt bad for these kids that they don't have moms or dads. I told her it is good to be sad and remember to be grateful for what you have. But it is also good to know these kids have one of the nicer and newer orphanages and seemed happy dancing with us. I told her never ever forget to be grateful for what you have and to find opportunities to give to others when you can.


No comments:
Post a Comment